Tuesday 10 September 2013

Farm House Table

I have seen a few Farm House table tutorials online and in magazines, and really wanted to give it a try! I've had this table for about a year; it's been sitting in my basement, begging to be refinished.



First, I unscrewed the original top from the table base. The top had been covered in mactac, so it was left in pretty hard shape. I painted the entire base in a white, which I mixed into chalk paint (see DIY tab for recipe). After lightly distressing it, I used a dark paste wax to give it that antique look.


For the top, I went to my local building supply retailer and purchased 2 1x6x10' pieces of cheap lumber. I even went so far as to search through the pile to find pieces that had knots, cool grain lines, and even some that had bark left on it. I had them cut into 30" pieces, knowing that I wanted the overall table top to be a square. After connecting them with 2 small pieces of 3" wide slats and finishing nails, I stained the whole thing in Minwax Jacobean. The colour is PERFECT! It looks old, rustic, and well lived in.

 
Overall I love how this turned out! I think I might re-do my dining table in this same look. Stayed tuned!

2 comments:

  1. That turned out gorgeous - ( reminds me of mine actually lol ) love the wide plank boards on top - just beautiful!!!
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete