Sunday 24 June 2012

A well travelled dresser

I'm so excited how this dresser turned out! I picked this up off the side of the road a couple weeks ago and it had no knobs and looked as if someone had previously attempted to sand it down. The top was half sanded and was a mess. Once again, I really wish i had of taken a before picture : (

The first thing I did was sand down the faces of the 3 drawers. I knew I wanted to make these look like old crates that had postage stamps and other designs on them. I found the design for the middle drawer on a great site called The Graphics Fairy. After transferring the designs on the bare wood, i went over them with a sharpie marker and sanded them a little to make them look aged. I'll add a link to my DIY projects page for complete instructions. I chose to use Minwax Polyshades in the Natural Pine (looks just like an old crate!) and finished the drawers off with some great handles.

 For the body of the dresser I used Burled Redwood from PPG and mixed it to make my own chalk paint. This turned out to be the PERFECT colour! It's nice and rich, warm, and looks like it has a history. After distressing it with 150 grit sand paper, I sealed it with Minwax Paste Wax.

I couldn't be happier how this turned out! I'm definitely going to try this look on another piece soon : )

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome!! love that graphics fairy and your choice of hardware!

    ReplyDelete